The forms listed below may be obtained by contacting the LLP Program at LLP@calbar.ca.gov or 1-888-800-3400.
There is no fee to request a name change for your LLP from the State Bar of California. Upon receipt and review of the foregoing, a Certificate of Registration will be issued to the LLP in its new name.
A $50 per partner (not to exceed $2,500) non-refundable fee must accompany this application.
(Numbers Correspond to Questions on the Application Form.)
- Fill in the complete name of the limited liability partnership (LLP). This name must be the same name set forth on the Secretary of State's Registered Limited Liability Partnership Registration (LLP-1).
- Fill in the address of record for the LLP. Please note that the "official LLP address of record" is maintained by the Office of Certification. To change the address of record of the LLP or to file any special reports other than the Annual Report, notification must be forwarded in writing to the The State Bar of California's LLP department, 180 Howard Street, San Francisco, CA 94105. Note that change of an individual's bar member's official State Bar address must be sent to the Membership Records Office of the State Bar. Changing your address with one office does not change it with the other office.
- Fill in the name and the direct dial telephone number, if available, of the person the State Bar will contact should issues arise. If the mailing address of the contact person is different than where the LLP practices, answer all questions in this box.
- Fill in the name of the partner or partners authorized to act on behalf of the LLP for State Bar purposes. If the authorized partner is a law corporation, set forth the complete name of the corporation. A shareholder of the law corporation may sign on behalf of the corporation wherever the signature of the authorized partner is required. Please specify that you are signing on behalf of the corporation.
- Complete and submit the following:
- Attachment 1. List the names of all attorney and/or law corporation partners in the LLP. Attorney License/Member Number need only be provided for attorneys licensed to practice in California. For Jurisdiction(s) in which Admitted to Practice, list only states and/or countries. If your LLP includes a partner or partners who are licensed only in a non-U.S. jurisdiction, see State Bar LLP Rule 4.3. If a partner is licensed in more than one jurisdiction, list the primary jurisdiction first. (A partner licensed to practice law in California will be entered as a California partner unless you specify otherwise.) You may attach additional pages if necessary.
NOTE: If you list the name of a law corporation partner on Attachment 1, do not list the shareholder(s) as an individual attorney partner(s), unless the shareholder(s) and the law corporation are separate partners in the LLP.
- Attachment 2. List the names of all non-partners, including employees and all other persons and/or law corporations practicing in partnership, association and/or "of counsel" with the LLP in a continuous relationship. "Continuous relationship" means co-counsel, contract attorneys, any person sharing office space, and/or any person practicing "of counsel" to the LLP. You may attach additional pages if necessary.
- Attachment 3. See State Bar LLP Rule 3.3 and California Rule of Professional Conduct 1-400.
- Attachment 4. See Corporations Code Section 16956 (a)(2), Business and Professions Code 6174.5, and State Bar Limited Liability Rule 3.172 (A)(2).
- Secretary of State Certification. Attach an original certified copy (including the cover with the red date stamp) of the Secretary of State's Registered Limited Liability Partnership Registration (LLP-1). The form is available from the office of The Secretary of State.
NOTE: Certification cannot be issued and the application will not be processed until all attachments are received in our office.
- The declarations must be signed by a partner authorized to act on behalf of the LLP. If the authorized partner is a law corporation, set forth the complete name of the corporation. A shareholder of the law corporation may sign on behalf of the corporation. Please specify that you are signing on behalf of the corporation. The application is not complete unless it has an original signature. No copies of signature, please. Without the original signed declaration by a partner authorized to act on behalf of the LLP, certification cannot be issued and the application will not be processed until we receive a declaration with the original signature of an authorized partner.
If you will be forwarding a separate list of partners, or separate lists of partners who practice in different offices or jurisdictions, as an addendum to Attachment 1, please use the following format:
- Last Name, First Name, Middle Initial in alphabetical order; Jurisdiction(s)
- Where Licensed to Practice (list the primary jurisdiction first);
- State Bar of California Attorney License Member Number (if applicable).
Do not list partners and non-partners together on one list. If a "mixed list" is submitted, certification cannot be issued and the application will not be processed until you submit separate lists of partners and non-partners.