Mary T. Huser
State Bar of California Admission Date: December 7, 1988
Other Jurisdictions Admission Dates:
Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, 1988; U.S. District Court, Central District of California, 1999; United States Supreme Court, 2011; United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas, 2011
- Stanford Law School, JD degree 1988
- President, Moot Court Board
- Editor, Stanford Law Review; published study on gender equality
- Worked two jobs while in law school - Manager of law cafeteria and teaching assistant to visiting professor
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, Bachelor of Business Administration 1984
- Accounting and Marketing Majors
- Bingham McCutchen, partner (May 2010 – present); 1995 – 2007; associate 1988 –1995)
- Managing Partner Silicon Valley Office 2001-2007
- Chair Global Intellectual Property Litigation and Patent Prosecution Group 2003-2007
- Chair National Securities Litigation Practice Group 1995-1999
- Chair National Personnel Administration Committee 1999-2002
- Member of firm’s recruiting committee and mentoring program. Several mentor awards.
- IP Law and Business “Super Lawyers” 2007, 2008
- Litigation partner specializing in intellectual property, patent, commercial and securities litigation. Practice focused primarily on Internet and technology companies.
- Strategic counseling for Internet and technology companies regarding global strategy and privacy issues.
- Securities class actions and arbitrations.
- Litigation and strategic advice re SEC, NASD, PCAOB regulatory actions.
- Regulatory and internal investigations.
- General commercial litigation experience in financial institutions regulatory matters, unfair competition, antitrust, and consumer class actions.
- First and second chair trial experience in state and federal courts in California, Delaware, International Trade Commission and international courts in the UK. Litigation experience globally, including France, Spain, Germany, Belgium, UK, Turkey, Australia, Korea, India, European Court of Justice.
- eBay Inc., Vice-President, Deputy General Counsel, 2008 – April 2010
- Global Intellectual Property and Litigation
- Global Regulatory (including law enforcement compliance)
- Global Privacy
- Business Ethics Officer
- Member, Enterprise Risk Management Committee
- VP Lead, Outside Counsel Management Committee
- VP Lead, Global Brand Protection and Anti-Counterfeiting Committee
- Overall Scope
- Responsible for eBay Inc. and subsidiaries, including PayPal, Skype, BillMeLater, StubHub, Rent.com, Shopping.com, GMarket, Global Classified.
- Global Litigation
- Responsible for global litigation across all of the eBay entities in 34 countries; over 400 pending matters with responsibility including trial oversight, mediation, negotiation, and outside counsel management. Litigation areas included general commercial, patent, trademark, copyright, antitrust, securities, consumer class actions, unfair competition, tax, class actions, bankruptcy, and labor and employment.
- Intellectual Property
- Responsible for global intellectual property strategy, litigation, prosecution, enforcement, portfolio management and due diligence. IP areas included all global strategic counseling, patent, trademark, copyright, domain name, enforcement, prosecution, global portfolio monetization, brand protection, marketing/advertising and product review.
- Due Diligence
- Responsible for IP and litigation due diligence for M&A transactions and divestitures.
- Strategic Product Counseling
- Responsibilities included strategic product analysis for various business units as well as product risk analysis prior to product launches or major modifications.
- Global Brand Protection
- VP Lead on global brand protection and anti-counterfeiting efforts and joint legal, government relations, PR, operations, legislative and regulatory efforts.
- Global Privacy
- Responsible for global privacy strategy, information security oversight, including oversight of data breach litigation.
- Responsible for regulatory outreach to state and federal regulators and law enforcement, prohibited items policies.
- Business Ethics Officer
- Served an ombudsman-type role for ethics issues raised by employees or executives.
- Executive Risk Management Committee
- Legal representative on executive risk management committee to address enterprise risk management issues.
- Outside Counsel Management Committee VP Lead
- Responsible for reduction of outside counsel budgets; over 50% reduction.
- Arthur Young & Co., auditor – 1984-85
- CPA Exam passed 1985 (not licensed)